So you want to go from Belgrade to Timisoara or the opposite direction and are thinking of the best way to do it. At the moment there are no direct lines between two cities, which means that you will have to make a stop in a small town called Vršac.
The best way to do it is by train, which leaves two times a day from Belgrade and from Timisoara. The distance between two cities is about 160 km and the journey will last four hours.
Serbian Railways has a special offer called “Banat Special”, with round trip tickets costing 14 euros. This is great, considering that a round trip ticket by bus between Belgrade and Vršac costs 1365 RSD (11 euros).
*UPDATE* The international train line between Vršac to Timisoara and vice versa, is suspended from August 1st, 2017.
If you are going from Belgrade to Timisoara…
Trains to Vršac depart from BEOGRAD DUNAV station (Belgrade Danube station), NOT from the Central Railway station. As already mentioned, there are two daily departures so you have two options;
1) To catch the morning train which leaves at 07:19 and arrives to Vršac at 09:10. Then from Vršac you can catch a train to Timisoara which leaves at 10:18.
2) Or to catch the afternoon one which leaves at 16:20 and arrives to Vršac at 18:09. From 18:40 you can catch a train to Timisoara.
This is a modern train, the only downside is that it stops in almost every village, which makes the journey slower.
When you arrive to Vršac, the train for Timisoara will be waiting for the passengers. This is a very small train stop and it’s not possible to buy any food or drinks at the station, although there is a kiosk right in front of the main entrance to the station.
This train has less stops so it travels faster through Romanian teritory and its final stop is Timisoara NORD train station.
If you are going from Timisoara to Belgrade;
You also have two options;
1) Catch the morning train which leaves Timisoara at 06:50 and arrives to Vršac at 08:52. Then catch the train for Belgrade which leaves Vršac at 09:44.
2) And afternoon option: Leaves Timisoara at 15:38 – arrives to Vršac at 17:45. Leaves Vršac at 18:45 – arrives to Belgrade at 20:37.
Romanian train is also quite modern and travels faster as there are no frequent stops, although the heating system didn’t work.
Things to remember about Timisoara NORD station:
1) Toilets are locked (at least they were in early morning). Hopefully situation is different during the day.
2) Don’t buy food at train station. It’s of bad quality and questionable health. So definitely grab something in the city before you arrive to the station.
And of course, always check the actual timetable and ask if there are any works on the railway. However, when buying a ticket you’ll surely be informed about that. You can check the timetable here. Just type (Beograd Dunav – Vršac; Vršac – Timisoara NORD).