“Istanbul, a universal beauty where poet and archeologist, diplomat and merchant, princess and sailor, northerner and westerner screams with the same admiration. The whole world thinks that this city is the most beautiful place on earth.” – Edmondo De Amicis
Here’s the pick of 23 essential do’s in Istanbul;
1. Befriend Turkish people and see for yourself why they are famous for their hospitality
2. Cross the Bosphorus Bridge
3. Try Turkish specialties
4. And beer
5. Don’t miss the Asian side, especially the Bağdat Avenue
6. Attend a sport match of one of “The Big Three” teams
7. Ride in dolmuş!
8. Hang out at Taksim square – the heart of modern Istanbul
9. Combine Simit and Ayran
10. Stroll along İstiklal Avenue
11. Get on top of Galata tower for spectacular views
12. Climb the Kamondo stairs
13. Feed the cats. They rule the city.
14. Feel the history in Hagia Sophia
15. Visit the stunning Blue Mosque and listen to the call to prayer in the cortyard
16. Take a ferry trip to the Asian side.
17. Search for the Medusa heads in the Basilica Cistern
18. Try your art of bargaining at the Grand Bazaar
19. Have a cup of Türk kahvesi (Turkish coffee) or çay (tea)
20. Explore Üsküdar – One of the city’s more conservative suburbs
21. Istanbul is huge, so don’t forget to have a rest
22. Try tulumba
23. And if you have some spare time, escape to the Princes’ Islands
All photos are © Eurotribe except where noted. All rights reserved.